Sciame was responsible for the construction and extensive renovation of a 150,000-square-foot complex at 29 East 36th Street, including a new 75,000-square-foot multi-level structure that knitted three historic NYC landmark buildings together. The design, by architects Renzo Piano Building Workshop, included a vault and a 240-seat auditorium below ground level. Above ground, a steel and glass structure housed a new Madison Avenue entrance, a large central piazza, new gallery space, and a reading room. In addition, the intricate design called for the restoration and preservation of the existing library complex: this included the 1906 library designed by Charles McKim; the 1928 library annex, and an 1840’s brownstone mansion that once served as the Morgan family residence. As well as having to meet rigorous landmark regulations, Sciame had to devise innovative solutions to various challenges including establishing the new building’s foundation 50 feet below ground level. Work was completed in 2006.